Sunday, April 06, 2008

Exact replica

There was a paragraph in Rehman Rashid's column which appeared in the NST of 4th April 2008 that caught my eye.


'In December 1998, while Umno and the nation were reeling from the sacking and subsequent travails of Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, Dr Mahathir told the press his successor would have to be an “exact replica of myself”.

“Some fit here, some fit there,” he said. “If they fit in completely, they will be my twin, but I don’t have one.”

Abdullah was sitting beside him at the time, smiling that crinkle-eyed smile we have all come to know so well.

I was one who admired the strength such unruffled geniality might have called for.'


The particular phrase was “exact replica of myself”. How telling. And now the good doctor rants ad infinitum about his successor? We reap what we sow – that should sum up the present situation. Shouldn't the good doctor be proud that his students are emulating and continuing his legacy, and in some instances, going beyond expectations to greater heights of mismanagement. I doubt the good doctor will see that point.

No comments: