Saturday, May 28, 2005

Thinking of Bali

It has been 5 days since I came back from my fourth visit to Bali. The first visit itself in 2003 left a very good impression on me. I decided then that I'll try to return to the island paradise at least once a year. So far so good. I'm even planning to go again later this year.
I can't pinpoint exactly what attracts me to Bali. The people, culture, environment or the X-factor. Maybe all of these has left an indelible impact on me. I'm not talking about the beach areas like Kuta or Sanur but more of the unexplored and lesser known districts.
I did make a calculated choice with Ubud on my first visit but I've been a repeat visitor for the past three times. I've made friends with the workers at the hotel and been invited by one of them to his house. He was in the midst of preparing for his wedding at that time and I just missed the occasion by a few weeks. I was fortunate to be invited again to his wife's place and see their 2 months old baby girl during this visit. I missed again the opportunity of joining in another Balinese festival as they're preparing to celebrate the baby's 3 months birthday next month.
That new found friend is just one of the many hospitable Balinese I've met during my brief visits there. I'm just as taken aback by the serenity of the surroundings. I've chosen small hotels located in the middle of rice paddy fields and the sounds of nature is just perfect for my kind of holiday. I can just sit by the pool and listen to the wind. Exhilarating.

No comments: