Monday, May 02, 2005

Jakarta bookshops

This is my third day in this huge city. This is my first visit and I should visit this city again to explore the other parts besides the area near my hotel. I've been to the shopping mall nearby - Plaza Blok M and it did not dissappoint. I've managed to go to two relatively big bookshops yesterday. Bookshops do help in nurturing the reading habit. The variety and the number of books help stimulate the curiosity of visitors. Something sorely lacking in Kuala Lumpur or Malaysia.
There are many Kahlil Gibran books. I assume they are bestsellers since I saw the same titles in the bookshops in Jogjakarta. No wonder the Indonesians' mind set is different from the Malaysians. The reading material that is available covers such a wider scope. The non-fiction section gives an insight into the workings of a person's mind. The topics stimulate and encourages the reader to venture deeper into a particular subject.
The fiction section cover the whole gamut of genres from chic-lit, manga to classics. The aisles were full of readers. They were enjoying themselves even the children. I even saw some children pestering their parents to buy more books for themselves. Some parents with limited budget had to scrutinise the number of books bought. But overall everyone seems contented with what they have bought and there is that feeling they will come again to buy more.

No comments: