Monday, July 04, 2005

Live8

I missed the live concert during the weekend. I doubt my non-presence has any impact on the efforts of the organisers to get as much aid as possible for the Africans. I was glued to the tv screen when the first live aid was aired throughout the world about 20 years ago. I have not seen that much change in the lives of those in need then and their present circumstances. Maybe the success stories have not been highlighted.
Concerts in aid of worthy causes do serve a purpose. At least the issue is current in everyone's mind or else we will just go on living our usual every day lives. I do not think too much of others' sufferings unless and until they are in front of my own eyes.
I tend to be heartless in that sense. I've bulit up a defense mechanism against the beggars in town. It is not that some of them do not deserve the help but I'm not sure whether the aid given goes to the deserving person. I'm very sceptical that those entrusted with giving that aid really do their job. I'm of the opinion that any aid should be given directly to those in need.
I'm sure this theory is not practical for all circumstances. The needs of these people are varied and they are found in all four corners of the earth.
Aid agencies come to the fore in this aspect and the genuine gets my vote. But who are they? How can I differentiate between the scams and the true blue thing. I'm still looking for a way to fine tune my instinct so that I can at least be sure that whatever I give goes to the rightful person.
That instinct comes only with experience but there are always bad hats who manage to filter through and make a profit out of those in need. I hope they realise that the poor and needy of the world deserves the aid that comes from everyone and DO NOT belong in their own pockets.

No comments: