Sunday, July 17, 2005

Rainforest Music Festival 2005

This is my third year attending the festival and the euphoria has not diminished for me. It was good to meet up with another festival goer who has been a participant since the beginning in 1998. The good feedback has strenghtened my belief that the organisers have done a wondeful job bringing a myriad of performers from around the world onto a single stage. The festival might not be as big as the Womad events but the camaraderie among those present make the whole trip worthwhile.
My only grouse would be the heat. But what do you expect from a venue in the rainforest. Unfortunately the afternoon workshops are held when the sun is directly above your head. I wished the organisers would consider putting those mist sprouting fans at the venues.
The night performances are excellent especially with the forest backdrop giving the whole proceeding an ethereal feel. I have goose bumps whenever a performer's voice is slices through the pristine jungle. The effect is magnified ten fold when the music is just a soft tune or a lone voice weaving stories of his homeland.
I'll definitely be there again next year.

No comments: