Friday, April 16, 2010

Penalised by bank for somebody else’s mistake





This letter to the editor appeared in the Star of 15 April 2010. The main points are highlighted.




I would like to voice my objection to the unfair penalty imposed on me by my bank even though it was no fault of mine.
I received a cheque that was directly deposited into my savings account by the issuer, hence I had no knowledge of this cheque. Then I received a letter from my bank informing me that the cheque had been returned due to the date being wrongly written. I contacted the issuer to let him know about the error and I was told that a new cheque would be issued.
With the issue sorted out, I rested easy thinking the matter was rectified. Imagine my shock when I checked my bank book to discover that I had been fined RM10 due to the returned cheque.
I am really annoyed because I was penalised for no mistake of mine. It was beyond my control and without my knowledge. I called up the call centre of my bank to get a clarification and was informed that the bank was right in doing so.
It is a question of principle. Can Bank Negara please explain the rationale for this action? Why was I penalised? Why are two parties being penalised for the same offence?
ESTEE,
Kuala Lumpur.

No comments: