Tuesday, March 30, 2010

‘No haggling’ sign is just for show

This is a letter to the editor which appeared in the Star of 29 March 2010.






AT about 10.30am on March 25, I was at the bus stop in front of IOI Mall in Puchong. I wanted to go to Petaling Jaya and approached one of the three taxis there.

All the drivers demanded RM20 instead of using the meter although the “No haggling” sign was plastered at the side of their taxis.

I reminded them of the newspaper report that they must use the meter but they refused to budge.

One of the drivers admitted that they preferred to take passengers straight to Kuala Lumpur and even suggested that I wait by the road for other taxis.

After a few minutes, a taxi stopped and a passenger alighted.

I approached the driver but he too demanded RM20. When I protested, he drove off.

I finally managed to stop a taxi driver who agreed to use the meter. The fare came to RM11.30.

As far as taxis are concerned, people like me are usually at the losing end. Taxi drivers complain about not being able to make a living even though their rates have gone up.

They refuse to use the meter even during off-peak periods, and on rainy days many opt to stay home!

VICTIMISED,
Kuala Lumpur.

No comments: