Wednesday, July 04, 2012

How much does it cost to get the Malaysian halal certification?


I'm glad that the Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Jamil Khir Baharom said that food outlet operators are not compelled to apply for the halal certificate and logo. He gave examples of hawkers such as the nasi lemak, nasi dagang and keropok lekor seller who would have to close shop if this group of traders are compelled to apply for the halal certification.

I do wonder how much does it take to get the certification to the point that an ordinary hawker has to close shop. According to the e-halal portal, applicants have to list all the ingredients used in their food preparation before proceeding with the application.

As an example, the keropok lekor seller will list the fish, oil, flour and other ingredients used in making his delicacy. I'm unsure what other details are needed since any applicant who wants to use the portal must first register with Jabatan Kemajuan Islam Malaysia (JAKIM).

Would the cost of submitting this information and other checks be so exorbitant that the trader has to close shop? Or is it only the big businesses that can afford the certification.

I have always had more faith in the small traders as some of them are my neighbours and friends. I've seen them prepare the food and know where they get the supply. I'm uncertain what actually happens during the certification process such that only big businesses can afford the checks.

As I said, how much exactly does it cost to get the certification?

Image from knizam


No comments: