Saturday, July 21, 2012

SPAD Officers - Where are you? (2)

Another letter to the editor which highlighted the RM15 fare charged by a taxi driver for a ride between the Central Market to the Methodist Boys’ School at Jalan Hang Jebat.







Where are the SPAD officers?

I REFER to “RM40 for short taxi ride” (Letters, July 18). Living and working in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, it is more like a miracle when I come across a taxi driver who uses the meter. A few weeks ago, I wanted to take a taxi from the bus stop in front of Central Market to the Methodist Boys’ School at Jalan Hang Jebat. It would have been a 20-minute walk uphill but I was tired.


The first taxi driver I approached rejected me, saying that he didn’t want to go through a jam. The second driver said that he was not planning to go to that area. The third driver said he would take me there for RM20. I thought I had no choice.


I bargained with him and brought the fare down to RM15. The ride through the clear road took five minutes. I had to spend almost 10 minutes to get a taxi and bargain over the fare for a five-minute ride.


Taxi drivers seem to have a pact. The first two in the queue rejected me and I was left with no choice but to accept the third driver’s terms. This is like bullying.


RoshMuni
Kuala Lumpur

No comments: