Thursday, April 28, 2005

Borders opens in Kuala Lumpur

At last Kuala Lumpur has a Borders bookshop and according to the write-up they will open more branches in future. It is quite a good idea to franchise Borders using a business giant who has the experience handling Starbucks.
The bookshop gave a good first impression on me when I went I visited the premises last week. There was ample space and there were stacks of 'bargains' on tables facing the customers before he moves to the bookshelves further back or on the sides. The 'bargains' are bargains to those looking for particular titles. I was tempted to grab a few but held back since I wanted to explore the two floors of book heaven.
I walked slowly and almost scrutinised every shelf. I was looking at certain titles that might grab my attention. The Dan Browns were prominently displayed. That author and his books has not lost its attraction yet. I'm sure all bookstores that stock his books are making big bucks.
I went to the Malay language section and was a bit disheartened since the titles were mostly confined to the romantic novel genre. Nothing wrong in that choice but I was looking for variety and the only ones I could find were shelves of study aids for the major Malaysian school examinations.
My next stop were the non-fiction section and they had almost the same titles as those stocked by Kinukuniya. I wanted more. I expected more. Greedy.

No comments: