Monday, March 29, 2010

Books are considered luxury items

This letter to the editor appeared in the Sunday Star of 28 March 2010





I REFER to the letter “Read the signs on why we’re not reading” (The Star, March 26).

I can’t help but agree with the writer that books are considered luxury items in Malaysia.

How many times have you gone into a bookstore to see the “Sale” sign everywhere and come out disappointed because it meant a markdown of RM5 from the original price of RM35.90?

When we compare the price of books overseas, the currency conversion may make it seem expensive but it is extremely affordable for someone living and earning their salary there.

When I was in Bangkok recently, I could find books which costs about RM15.

Our ministers have been talking about making Malaysia a reading nation ever since I was a toddler.

Now an adult, I only see book prices going higher and higher.

Are we expected to treat bookstores like libraries now?

And are libraries even accessible?

From what I know, even the small community library in Subang Jaya isn’t there to serve us with knowledge.

Honestly, before people in power go on babbling about how much we need to read, visit the bookstores in our country and tell us how on earth can we afford these books when they cost us half our grocery expenses at times.

JASMYIN TAY,

Subang Jaya.

No comments: